Utica on the Map

Utica on the Map
Smack in the Center

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Upstate Architecture: Two Whitesboro Beauties

I'm happy to post photos of two houses taken by my friend, Jeff Boehlert, who knows a lot about construction and renovation, having taught himself how to do just that.

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a house I noticed as I was leaving the Dunham Public Library in Whitesboro and launched what I hope will be another thread  (Architecture) in this blog about life in Utica and/or Upstate New York. In its heyday, Utica and many other Upstate cities and towns created beautiful buildings, both residential and public. I know enough about architecture to see that some are elegant and/or unusual. Some are odd. Some imitative of 

Europeon styles. Many have been renovated and adapted for various uses today.

Jeff expressed an interest in this particular aspect of life here and sent me these photos a few days ago. I asked him to tell me what he liked about these two houses. Here's what he said:

"As for the houses they are both from upper Main Street in Whitesboro. I liked the first one because of the capped turret style slate roof over the porch. I love all things turret. 

I like the white house because it looks so classic and inviting...timeless. It's actually a very old home, maybe 90-100 years, and it has so many unique features. Large (25 small paned) front windows, great cornice details, a really nice roof line and to top it off the house is a 6 sided design. If I was ever to build a house, I would imitate that exterior."

No comments:

Post a Comment