Utica on the Map

Utica on the Map
Smack in the Center

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Local Food: Aqua Vita Farms

Well, I see that my posts dwindled in the month of April. Let's just say the pouring rain failed to inspire me to go anywhere or find out about anything!

Foodies take heart. More and more citizens of Oneida County are becoming entrepreneurs in the slow food, organic, home farming movement. I have already posted about a few, such as Debra Richardson of Leaf, Loaf & Ladle (see my post of 2/3/11).

My friend, Mark Doherty, has been urging me to look into his new business in Sherrill. It's called Aqua Vita Farms. Although I haven't visited yet, I've talked to Mark and gone on Facebook to get information and look at photos.


Aqua Vita Farms is an indoor farm that utilizes Aquaponics to grow fish and produce, for wholesale distribution. Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics. It involves growing fish and plants together in one integrated, soilless system. The fish waste provides a food source for the plants and the plants provide a natural filter for the water in which the fish live. Aqua Vita Farms grows safe, fresh, organic produce and seafood.

Aqua Vita Farms Plant



Lettuce growing aquaponically

I hope to talk to Mark soon and add more details in another post about this exciting new project.

No comments:

Post a Comment