Other specific tasks of the Food Policy Council will include:
- Supporting and developing community gardens, food cooperatives and farmers’ markets.
- Coordinating food services with parks and recreation programs to broaden access.
- Creating nutrition education programs to enhance food-purchasing and food preparation skills and to heighten awareness of the connection between diet and health.
- Supporting and developing sustainable networks for distributing food.
- Providing outreach and assistance to increase participation in existing nutrition programs.
- Conducting surveys, research and data collection activities to assess the extent and causes of hunger in the community.
- Resource mapping to identify available assets and gaps in resources necessary to end hunger in the community.
- Developing tools to assess hunger on a one-time or continual basis.
- Support existing agencies in their efforts to identify resources, partners and funding.
- Planning activities.
And what is R2G Utica? http://www.rust2green.org/
Rust to Green Utica is a local effort seeded by the R2G New York State Initiative. R2G Utica will soon be housed downtown, in the Green Century Building at 253 Genesee Street. R2G Utica has been identified within an immediate action step set forth by the goals of Utica’s new Master Plan.
R2G Utica will be engaged in identifying and advancing strategies and projects particularly related to greater urban livability, sustainability and resilience.
R2G Utica aims to widen local participation, involvement and inclusion in shaping and guiding Utica’s transition from rust to green.